October 30, 2018 at 5:16 pm #25573IlanagustafsonMember
Request for Proposal
Submission Deadline: December 15th, 2018
Delivery Deadline: March 1st, 2018
THE NATURAL HISTORY MUSEUM OF LOS ANGELES COUNTY – PERFORMING ARTS
SAUROPOD MARIONETTE REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS
The Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County (NHMLA) is inviting you to respond to this Request for
Proposals. NHMLA plans to select an experienced artist to develop and fabricate a new puppet, to be used in
regular programming at the museum.
Overview: Performing Arts and The Natural History Museum
The Performing Arts program is dedicated to providing the communities of Los Angeles County with performances
that explore and interpret the intersection of history, art, and science using puppetry and its associated arts. The
program currently produces the popular Dinosaur Encounters and Ice Age Encounters performances alongside a
wide variety of other museum theater offerings based on events and exhibits. The program strives to exemplify and
iterate upon the museum’s vision in all of its endeavors – to inspire wonder, discovery, and responsibility for our
natural and cultural worlds.
Project Goals and Technical Requirements
The selected contractor will work with NHMLA paleontological staff to develop and create a marionette
interpretation of a sauropod dinosaur, the precise species will be determined at the beginning of the development
process. Core requirements include:
• The total budget for the puppet must not exceed $10,000.
• The puppet must match those visual characteristics outlined during development with paleontology staff.
• Puppet is capable of interacting regularly with guests of all ages.
• Puppet should coexist aesthetically with other Dinosaur Encounters puppets.
• Puppet control design must be ergonomic and practical for repeated use during 30 minute performances.
• Puppet weight should fall under 15 lbs.
• Puppet must be delivered, meeting all aforementioned requirements, to NHMLA by March 1st, 2018
All proposals are due by 4:00 pm on December 15th, 2018. No faxed proposals will be accepted. Emailed
proposals are preferred, but hard copies are accepted. All proposals should be sent to The Natural History
Museum of Los Angeles County C/O Ilana Gustafson at the following address: 900 Exposition Boulevard, Los
Angeles, California, 90007. All questions or comments concerning the Request for Proposals should be addressed
to Ilana Gustafson, Manager of Performing Arts at [email protected].
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.