Each award presented by the Puppeteers of America is a unique and distinct honor. The awards recognize extraordinary contributions to of the art of puppetry and to the community of puppeteers.
- The President’s Award is the only honor in USA puppetry that recognizes a body of work or entire career in puppetry. It is a lifetime achievement award. The recipients include: Jim Henson, Bil Baird, Burr Tillstrom, Julie Taymor, Peter Schumann, Frank Ballard, Rufus and Margo Rose.
Two awards were established to recognize and encourage service to the puppetry community.
- The Trustees Award honors service to the Puppeteers of America.
- The Puppeteers of America Award recognizes service to the art of puppetry from outside the immediate field.
Three newer awards are named for distinguished artists who are inspirational role models.
- The Jim Henson Award for Innovation
- The George Latshaw Award for writing
- The Marjorie Batchelder McPharlin Award for education
Awards are presented every two years at National Puppetry Festivals.
Any member of Puppeteers of America can make a nomination for an award.